· Students shall wait at designated bus stops and they shall arrive at least 5 minutes (no more than 10 minutes) before the bus is scheduled to arrive.
· Students waiting for the bus shall do so quietly and safely.
· Students will not run towards the bus when the bus is approaching (do not move toward the bus until it has completely stopped and/or the driver has motioned to do so and the door is opened).
· Students will wait at least 12 feet back from the street or roadway (law states that a school bus driver must stop 12 feet back from the 1st student in line).
· Students will wait for the bus in a line forming away from where the bus will stop.
· Students will quickly take a seat (or be directed to a seat by the driver depending on the driver’s preference of the loading procedure).
· Students shall talk quietly to their neighbor on the bus, not stand up nor turn around in the seat, respect others and their property as well as the property of the school bus. There is no eating, drinking or gum chewing allowed while riding on the bus. Procedures for Boarding the School Bus at Escorted Stops
· Students will be given instructions to wait at an area designated by the driver. · When escorting student, the driver shall, before opening the door, ensure that the flashing red light signal system and stop signal arm are activated and it is safe to exit the bus.
· The driver will exit the bus and walk approximately 10 feet in front of the bus before turning to enter the roadway and instruct the students to “wait” for his/her verbal signal.
· Using the handheld stop sign, the driver will walk to the center of the street and assure all traffic is stopped before verbally signaling the students to walk between the bus driver and the bus. The driver shall escort the student across the street in front of the bus and follow the last students on to the bus, making sure that all students are seated. Procedures for Unloading the Bus at School or at a Bus Stop
· Students will remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop and the bus door is opened. The bus is not considered stopped until the door opens. Students shall not stand on the bus while the bus is in motion.
· Students will exit the bus one row at a time beginning with the front of the bus in an orderly manner in compliance with the driver’s instructions. 6
· Students will use the handrail at the door and walk down each step to the ground.
· After exiting, students are to walk away from the bus and not touch or lean against the bus. Students are not to return to the bus or run after the bus. There will be no “horseplay” on or at or near the bus or bus stops.
· Kindergarten students must be met at their bus stop by a parent or legal guardian. If there is no one to meet the student they will be returned to school.
- Go directly to the bus stop and directly home at the end of your bus ride. Plan and use the safest route with the fewest streets to cross.
- If possible, cross at a signaled intersection. Always use the crosswalk. Before crossing, look left, right and left, and over your shoulder for traffic.
- Watch for turning vehicles.
- Do not dart from between parked cars or shrubbery.
- Never accept a ride from a stranger.
- If possible, face traffic when walking on roads without sidewalks, and always use caution.
- Be extra careful during times of sunrise, bad weather, and when it is dark.
- Leave home early enough so you do not have to run to your bus stop or school.
- All students, including kindergartners, are dropped at their bus stop, even if an adult is not present to meet them. Children should know how to get home, or to daycare, on their own.
· Students will remain seated until the bus comes to a complete stop.
· Students crossing the street will be instructed to come to the front of the bus and wait for further instruction from the driver.
· The driver shall, before opening the door ensure the flashing red light signal system and stop signal arm are activated and that it is safe to open the door and exit the bus.
· The driver will instruct the students to follow him/her and to “wait” until they are verbally signaled by the driver that it is safe to walk across the street. Students shall not move towards the street until the driver verbally instructs them to do so. · The driver will walk approximately 10 feet in front of the bus before turning to enter the roadway. The driver will stop and check for traffic and then proceed to the center of the street.
· The driver will assure all traffic is stopped and verbally signal the students to cross when safe. Students shall cross the street to the front of the bus. Students are not to return back to the bus. If they forgot something/left something on the bus they are to get the drivers attention and the driver can bring the item to the student.
· Students remaining on the bus while the driver is crossing other students are to remain in their seats.
- Face traffic so you can see the bus approaching. Stand back 12 feet from where the bus will stop. Do not approach the bus until the driver opens the door.
- When loading at a school, follow the directions of the driver and/or teacher on bus duty. Stand back 12 feet from where the bus will stop.
- Make sure you get on the right bus. Many buses service our district schools at many of the same bus stops. Verify that you are boarding the correct bus.
- Teach your child to ask the driver or teacher on bus duty for help if something drops near the bus. NEVER go under or stoop down in front of the any bus to retrieve papers or other items. The bus driver cannot see you in the “danger zone” under the bus.
- Never, never run to a bus; always walk.
- Destroying property, playing in or running across the street or any type of horseplay at a bus stop is dangerous and prohibited.
- Do not bring pets to a bus stop.
- Large school projects, large band instruments, scooters, and skateboards cannot be transported on the bus unless it can be safely stored in your child’s backpack. Please make other arrangements to get your child’s items to school.
- When the bus is stopped to load or unload, the students are the direct responsibility of the bus driver, and the driver’s direction must be followed.
- School buses can only stop at designated bus stops. If you miss the bus, have mom or dad take you to another bus stop or directly to school. Remember; never run after your bus once it leaves!
- If waiting for the bus in a car, be on the same side of the road as the bus stop.