Dr. Mike Williams
Senior Director Secondary Education
Welcome and Thank You for Visiting CVUSD’s Secondary Education Website. We address the educational needs of a rapidly changing global society in democratic and socially just ways. We value innovation and build upon the strengths of our culturally diverse student body.
Our Team is Focused On:
- Providing a Positive, Caring, and Inspirational Environment, where ALL Students and Staff can Thrive
- Maximizing Student Learning in a World-Class School District
- Creating and Maintaining Challenging and Relevant Curriculum
- Using District and Site Level Data to Inform Decisions
- Providing a Balanced Assessment System that Visualizes Evidence of Successful Performance
- Delivering Relevant and Engaging Professional Development
CVUSD Secondary Education plays a crucial role in the overall development of students to positively impact both students and their families in various ways. Here are some reasons why Secondary Education is considered beneficial for all.
1. Academic Growth: Secondary Education provides students with a more specialized and in-depth curriculum, which helps them develop critical thinking, problem-solving skills, and a deeper understanding of various content areas. This academic growth prepares students for Higher Education and Career Readiness.
2. Personal Development: During the student’s time in grades 7-12, students undergo significant personal development. Secondary Education offers opportunities for students to explore their interests, passions, and talents through extracurricular activities, clubs, and sports. This exploration helps in building confidence and character.
3. Social Skills and Relationships: In Secondary Education, students interact with peers from diverse backgrounds, cultures, and perspectives. This social interaction helps them develop communication skills, empathy, and teamwork abilities, which are crucial for success in both personal and professional life. Also, secondary education provides opportunities for students to grow in their life skills such as time management, responsibility, and resilience, which are essential for College and Career Readiness.
4. Preparation for Higher Education: Secondary Education provides the necessary foundation for Higher Education. Colleges and Universities often expect students to have completed certain coursework and possess specific skills that are acquired during their Secondary Years.
5. Career Preparation: Besides preparing students for Higher Education, Secondary Education also equips them with practical skills that are valuable in the job market. Our Career Technical Education programs, internships, and career counseling helps students make informed decisions towards their future career aspirations.
6. Supportive Environment: Secondary schools have support systems in place, including a Career Center, Wellness Center, administration, guidance counselors, teachers, coaches, and multiple other staff members who are there for students to navigate academic and personal challenges. A supportive environment fosters a positive learning experience.
7. Teacher Expertise: Secondary school teachers are subject area specialists, as they have a deep understanding of the subjects they teach. This expertise enhances the quality of education and allows students to delve deeper into their areas of interest.
8. Parental Involvement: For parents, secondary education provides an opportunity to be actively involved in their child's education: multiple school events, Parent-Teacher Conferences, and participation in school committees enable parents to stay informed and engaged in their child's progress.
In summary, Secondary Education offers a well-rounded and comprehensive learning experience for students, specialized expertise from our staff, and involvement opportunities for parents. It prepares students for Higher Education and Future Careers while fostering personal growth and development. The combined benefits create a positive impact on the individual student and the society they look to impact.