Dual Language Immersion Guiding Principles
Coachella Valley Unified School strives to attain and fully implement the three pillars of the Guiding Principles for Dual Language Education, 3rd edition: bilingualism and biliteracy, high academic achievement, and sociocultural competence.
Bilingualism / Biliteracy
Language proficiency – Students develop high levels of linguistic proficiency in both Spanish and English.
Academic proficiency – Students attain high levels of academic proficiency in both Spanish and English coursework.
High Academic Achievement in Both Languages
Metacognitive proficiency – Students develop an understanding of the common underlying proficiencies inherent in cross-linguistic, cross-academic and cross-cultural studies, and how the development of these competencies increases their social and cognitive capacities.
Multicultural proficiency – Students develop an understanding and appreciation of traditions and values of various cultures in our society and around the world.
Additionally, Coachella Valley Unified School District holds the following core ideals of our Dual Language Program:
- CVUSD aims to prepare all students for college, career and citizenship. Dual Language programs address the growing need of a bilingual and biliterate workforce in The Coachella Valley and beyond.
- Non-English primary language knowledge is viewed as an asset to be developed alongside (rather than sacrificed in exchange for) English proficiency.
- Common underlying proficiencies are inherent in cross-linguistic, cross-academic and cross-cultural studies, and the explicit and intentional development of these competencies increases social and cognitive capacities.
- The demands of our global economy require an ever-increasing scope of capacities in communication. Better than 80% of the students enrolled in CVUSD schools enter with the asset of a language other than English.
- The CVUSD Dual Language Program will be developed, implemented and evaluated according to research-based methodology.